Sexually transmitted diseases happen to be one of the largest risk factors in young adulthood. According to the CDC, it is estimated that there are 19 million new STD outbreaks in the United States each year. The largest population affected are- you guessed it- teenagers and those in their early twenties. Why this age group? I think that this probably has something to do with Erickson's inner battles over identity formation and intimacy searching. The truth is, young adults tend to make many decisions without thinking about them, and they are often bad decisions. Also, many young adults have not been fully educated on all the dangers of sexual exploration. And even with a bounty of information at hand, many will still expect that their chances of catching something are still not that great ("that would never happen to me"). Or maybe, like I said previously, its just that everyone avoids the subject.Here are some disturbing facts about the most common STDs:
(I just had to steal these pictures from the CDC website)

- Most common infectious disease in the United States
- Often has no noticeable symptoms (So, you might not even know you have it)
- Can lead to pelvic inflammatory disease, ectopic pregnancy and infertility in women
- Affects all races, but African Americans and Native Americans are disproportionately affected
- Infects the cervix in women, but can spread to the rectum
- Recent strains are somewhat resistant to antibiotics
- Research suggests that infection may increase susceptibility to HIV infection
- Common symptoms include a burning sensation when urinating and a yellow or green discharge
- National morbidity rate has been rising for the past six years- Higher rates among men, especially among men who have sex with men
- Initial symptom is a single, painless sore at the infection site. A few weeks later, the sore disappears and is replaced by a rash that doesn't itch. In left untreated, 10-20 years later, the infection attacks all the organs leading to insanity and death.
Okay, who wants ice cream?!
Aside from being dangerous to your health and physically unpleasant, sexually transmitted diseases also carry social stigma with them. People who have infectious diseases are certainly shunned in our society, and not just because we are trying to prevent the spread of infection. The infected are seen as being unclean. And, what is worse, those infected with a sexually transmitted disease are not only seen as unclean, but also as lacking in moral standards. It also seems that once a person is known to have had a STD, they are forever labeled as such even if they have been treated and cured. If they have contracted an incurable disease, such as HIV or herpes, then they will forever live with the stigma, which may affect their future relationships, job and school prospects, and lead to covert and overt discrimination.
These are all reasons to be careful. Being informed about sexually transmitted diseases is only the first step. People must exercise safe sexual practices and get tested on a regular basis. And, it is important to have that uncomfortable conversation with all prospective sexual partners. STDs are easy to get and hard to get rid of. But, they are even easier to prevent.


2 comments:
The commercials that play over and over again giving safety tips on wrapping it up are true. Sex is considered a basic need among individuals especially teenagers. Most young people are having sex because their friends are so it the peer pressure that pushes teenagers into having sex. I believe that the music on the radio and the graphics on the television are influencing young people to engage in sex. I think that we as individuals and social workers should be aware of sex education. I also believe that the sex education should be taught early on in grade school so that children are cautious of their body parts……..
I loved your blog. Because I was a RA in college I had to take a class on all of these topics but it is always good to look at the new stats. on the subject. I have seen how the stigma of having a STD can follow somebody. NO I do not have one but my best friend fell in love once and went home with gental warts. Well some of her friends quite inviting her over and shunned her from social events. Well when she had a one night stand like two years later she got herpies. Now she has both and spends most of her time at home by herself. I hate that people do not educate thereselves better on this subject. Even though I did not have to worry about any of these problems because me and my husband were a member of the V club when we meet and desided to take the next step. I have had several friends who did not choose caution in this catagory. Some made it through and others have a permant gift. I wish that more parents would educate their children about the risk of having sex before marriage or with out protection. Great Blog keep it up.
Post a Comment