Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Peacocks

As I have been shopping for Halloween stuff for the past few weeks, I can't help but notice the vast array of sexy Halloween costumes for women. Most of the costumes either are very short, show cleavage, or are otherwise sexual in nature. The women's costumes you can find online have names like "Vixen Pirate Wench" and "Officer Pat-U-Down" and "Firehouse Flirt." We buy these costumes so we can be someone else for the night, someone who is sexy. Now, I have no place to talk because my costume is rather lacking in material as well, but I can't help but wonder about this trend in sexy costumes. And, most of these costumes, which are made of only about one yard of material total, cost around $50 each and that does not include shipping and handling.

You know how male peacocks have a bright plume of tail feathers that they fan out in order to attract prospective females? Well, human females have Halloween costumes. Or actually, human females just use clothing in general as a way to attract prospective mates. Appearance is a very important thing for human sexuality, and in our society it is women, not men, who take the peacock approach to love. We spend countless dollars every year buying makeup, jewelry, clothing, and accessories that we think (either consciously or subconsciously) will make us look attractive to others. We dye our hair, paint our nails, douse ourselves in perfume, and then do our little turn on the cat walk (as Right Said Fred would say). I think that we strive to be sexually attractive the most during our teenage and young adult years. I mean, just take a look back at those Halloween costumes, all young women, probably mid twenties, and all blond for some reason. I know I've already talked about sexual advertising, but I can not beat this dead horse enough. We rely heavily on our sense of sight, and if all the clothing advertising out there depicts a certain type of beauty and sexual attractiveness, then we are probably going to emulate it.
So, clothing, in a sense, is an extension of our sexuality. It is a mode and a means of advertising our sexuality and availability (whether we mean to or not). And clothes say a lot about a person, although different people may get different messages based on their own personal schemas.

1 comment:

Mrs. Reynolds said...

I totally agree with you. My daughter is 5 and I bought my daughter a Hanna Montana costume. It was cute but I could not help but notice the provocative costumes that were in the children's section. I was hoping that no one was buying them for their children but then again I know that I am wrong. I like that you say that our choices of expression, especially clothing reflect on our sexuality because it truly does.