
We are constantly at the mercy of the media. Everywhere you turn, there is bound to be something with sexual content- either overt or covert- on TV, in magazines, on the web, even on billboards. I was thinking about this subject while I was at the mall the other day. Not only do almost all of the signs and pictures in stores show sexually and physically attractive people, but they also tend to show young people- teenagers and young adults. The pair of pants that I go to try on have a tag on them that depicts a twenty-something female wearing those pants and hugging an attractive young man. This is supposed to link those pants in my mind with being wanted sexually by attractive young men. Aside from just trying to sell sex and clothing however, the media is also telling me subconsciously that people my age (young adults) are supposed to be sexual, that its normal and expected and maybe even wanted. I'm still not sure whether this is supposed to mean that young adults are more sexual than older adults or if its just that young adults look better doing it. But, that's for another discussion. The point is, young adults are pushed from all angles to be sexual or at least to give off the appearance that we are sexual.
Lets look at pornography (not literally). Of the vast array of different pornographic genres and subject matters (there actually is a vast array), most portray sex between young adu
lts. All the well known female porn stars began in the industry and were at their height in their twenties- Jenna Jameson began at 19 and is now 34 and Briana Banks began at 21 and is now 30, to name two. Ever notice that you don't see many strippers over 35? Is this because we accept younger adults being sexual and not older adults, or are younger adults really more sexual. [[Disclaimer: I'm not saying that being a porn star or a stripper is a measure of one's sexuality- but they are sexual professions]] But, I feel like I'm getting off track here. My point is that things that are supposed to have overt sexual content are most often showing young adults.
lts. All the well known female porn stars began in the industry and were at their height in their twenties- Jenna Jameson began at 19 and is now 34 and Briana Banks began at 21 and is now 30, to name two. Ever notice that you don't see many strippers over 35? Is this because we accept younger adults being sexual and not older adults, or are younger adults really more sexual. [[Disclaimer: I'm not saying that being a porn star or a stripper is a measure of one's sexuality- but they are sexual professions]] But, I feel like I'm getting off track here. My point is that things that are supposed to have overt sexual content are most often showing young adults. And if its not enough to be persuaded by the media, then look to your friends and acquaintances. If they are buying into the sexual push and pull, then you would look weird not to also; like you aren't normal or developed. Peer pressure, whether its overt or subliminal, is probably one of the biggest sexual influences. I'm not just talking about what we dealt with in high school. Seeing your friends in happy sexual relationships makes you want to be in happy sexual relationships. Raging hormones and biological clock aside, if everyone else is doing, then you should be too, right?
What is this ad even for?


2 comments:
I'll play - the bottom add is for tooth whitening. The dolce and gabana ad looks like a modified gang rape with mannequins. The top one has a story to tell - the Irish dude looks into the camera, his image reflected in the mirror as he smirks apologetically - she's such a dominatrix in her candies, what can he do, but oblige? On your Annenberg, there is a video about sex and aging (4, I think). Check it out - it's pretty good.
When I was in college I came back to my room and the place had been somewhat trashed. I was puzzled until my roommate told me it was a warning for her. I asked what she meant and she started to cry. Seems she was at a frat party that past weekend waiting in line to use the bathroom. A guy from the frat who was a football player told her she could use his bathroom and she went to his room since she knew him casually and felt she had nothing to fear. She used the bathroom but when she came out he grabbed her and sexually assaulted her. He was about 4X her size and afterwards told her, "I know you wanted it". He was in such a hurry to get what he wanted that he tore the front of her jeans without destroying the zipper. As a football player he was concerned her telling someone could get him kicked off the team and besides tearing up our room he called her for awhile to keep tabs on if she had sought help. She refused to talk about it-wouldn't tell anyone or seek medical intervention. Thankfully he backed off eventually and she did not get pregnant. She went on-graduated-became an elementary teacher- but she never dated the rest of our time together and to date she has never married despite being a kind and lovely person. I have no personal contact with her -only occasional references in alumni magazines but always wonder if her single status isn't the long term result of what happened to her.
Post a Comment