But, at the end of this all, especially after the election, I can only wonder what the future holds for sexuality in America. So, of course, I did a little research on Barack Obama's views on sexuality and sex issues. Abortion is certainly an issue pertaining to sexuality, so it stands to say that Obama's decisions in this area will affect many young women in the next four years. When asked about his stance on abortion at a campaign rally back in October, Obama side stepped saying whether or not abortion was morally just, stated that it is a hard decision for women to have to make and we shouldn't condemn them for it, and advocated better sex education for young people. His basic stance, as I could understand, was that he wasn't going to attack abortion's legality, but instead try to reduce abortion by increasing sex education and reproductive services (i.e. birth control); a fairly moderate stance. He stated during the speech, "I’m all for education for our young people, encouraging abstinence until marriage, but I also believe that young people do things regardless of what their parents tell them to do and I don’t want my daughters ending up in really difficult situations because I didn't communicate to them, how to protect themselves if they make a mistake." I think that this is powerful advice no matter what side of the abortion fence you stand on.
On the issue of gay rights, during an MTV interview, Obama stated that while he personally believes that marriage should be between a man and a woman, he does not believe that we should be making constitutional amendments to prohibit, "somebody who cares about another person." He professed that he doesn't advocate gay marriage but that he does oppose California's proposition 8 (which bans gay marriage) on the grounds that constitutional amendments should be for expanding civil liberties, not for taking them away. He did advocate strong civil unions though. Another moderate stance.
On http://www.barackobama.com/, Obama talked about his views on birth control and stated that he plans on making affordable birth control available to low-income and college age women. As a senator, "when Congress failed to require insurance plans to cover FDA-approved contraceptives, [he] made sure those contraceptives were covered for women in Illinois." So, obviously he is a supporter of contraception and and reproductive health.
I personally am not sure what the future will hold for American sexuality. I feel that Obama is a moderate liberal, which means he will probably be proactive for most issues that have to do with sexuality in the United States, regardless of his personal views on the subject. At the very least, I don't think that he is going to make any changes to the way things are (i.e. make abortion or gay marriage illegal). I'm not going to come out and say anything about my own political views, although it may already be obvious from the content of my blog posts, but I think that the future may be bright for young adults who are exploring or struggling with their sexuality in the years to come.

2 comments:
Excellent blog-you picked a very interesting subject!
I did know Obama's views on abortion and gay marriage prior to casting my vote for him. I agree with him that we should teach the importance of abstinence but not be so naive as to think that teenagers are not going to let their hormones get the better of them. I also agree with him on abortion and I really hate the term "PRO-LIFE." I believe in a women's right to choose so does that make me "ANTI-LIFE!"; NOOOO!!!
I do not want anyone to have an abortion but I do not think that it is my task nor the government's task to try and end abortion. I especially do not think that our government should deny a woman an abortion when she has been the victim of rape and/or incest. Sara Palin believes that a raped women should not only not be allowed to have an abortion but believes that the women's insurance company should pay for the rape kit used to investigate the rape. Our country really dodged a bullet by keeping that women out of the white house.
Great blog! and I appreciate your sharing it with us. This is very good information for people to know.
Senator Obama has been working behind the scenes for many years promoting key issues that benefit women. Months before he announced his decision to pursue the oval office, I had the pleasure of seeing a documentary regarding childcare and health care for women on Link TV. It was impressive. Have wonderful holidays, you and your family and I wish you the best in your professional endeavors.
Post a Comment